Property Division Going Through a Divorce in Santa Clarita?

Barnholtz & Kugler will fight for your rights with compassionate, knowledgeable and, if needed, aggressive representation.

California Property Division

Legal Assistance from a Valencia Divorce Lawyer

Property division in a dissolution or legal separation proceeding requires knowledge of the current laws in this regard, in the State of California. Property division includes both assets and debts and must take into consideration community property and separate property.

California is a community property state. What that typically means is that assets and debts incurred during the marriage are considered the property of the community, regardless of which party acquired that asset or debt. Separate property is an asset or debt that is acquired either prior to the marriage, after the date of separation, or an inherited asset that is not commingled with community property.

This differentiation between the character of an asset can get complicated by having an asset or debt retain both separate property and community property interest. It is important to have legal representation that understands the law and is able to be sure that both assets and debts are divided in a way that follows the community property laws in California.

At Barnholtz & Kugler, we have extensive experience in dealing with both straightforward property division cases as well as complicated property division cases that include business ownership, real estate division, and breaches of fiduciary duties.

Need a lawyer for a property division case in Santa Clarita? Contact a Valencia divorce attorney from our firm today!

Contact Us Today!

Valencia Law Firm

Allow us to make this experience as painless and straightforward as possible.

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.